Friday, April 16, 2010

Italian Poor Man's Soup



I love this soup for several different reasons. It's incredibly easy, super cheap, great for even the pickiest of eaters, and it makes a ton of soup. I think this time around it cost me about $8 and I have enough for four meals. Depending on just how picky your little eaters are, you can grate, chop or puree the veggies. I prefer to chop since I have a veggie chopper on hand. Here's what you're going to need:

3 chicken breast halves
1 box orzo
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can chicken stock
1 large onion
3 carrots
3 celery sticks
3 cups corn
8 white potatoes
salt and pepper
parmesan cheese
(Cheese not pictured.)

Fill a large pot with about 4 quarts of water. Add chicken, salt, pepper, 1/2 can crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Boil 1/2 hour.

Remove chicken and shred or chop.


Add shredded chicken, grated celery, carrots, and onion, diced potatoes, corn and 1/2 can crushed tomatoes. Boil 1 hour while adding 1/2 c. parmesan cheese.

Add orzo and let sit away from heat for 15-20 minutes. Top with parmesan cheese.


There you have it. I told you it was easy.


1 comment:

  1. This was really, really good. With lesser soups, I feel that I have to eat crackers or chips with my meal to enjoy it. Not the case here.

    ReplyDelete