Monday, April 12, 2010

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

I hadn't made this soup in at least a year and a half, so I honestly couldn't even remember what it was going to taste like. I'm glad I dug through my old recipes and found it though, because this is a delicious soup!

You'll need:
4 c. chicken broth (I make mine from bouillon)
2 c. water
2 chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
1 pkg. long grain wild rice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. butter
2 c. heavy cream (half and half or skim milk will work but create a different consistency.)


(I double the recipe to have leftovers.)

In a large pot, combine broth, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.

In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan, melt butter and stir in contents of seasoning packet until bubbly. Reduce heat to low then stir in flour. Whisk in the cream until smooth and cook for five minutes.

Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook for fifteen minutes, or until heated through.


2 comments:

  1. Side note: I used half and half instead of heavy cream. If you use this option, (or skim milk, I presume) you WILL need to thicken the soup with corn starch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks bland, but it tastes great!

    ReplyDelete